All members who have paid their dues may enter club competitions. The images, both print and digital, must be uploaded and registered online by the Sunday night at 7pm before the competition meeting night! This means that you MUST upload your image(s) in the appropriate category (digital or print).
Club members may enter up to a total of 3 prints and or digital images into competition every month – one in each of the following categories:
Digital Images Competition:
- Assigned Subject Digital Image Color or Black & White – The assigned subject is determined in advance and can be found in the Events section of this web site by clicking on the meeting date.
- Open Color Digital Image – The subject is “open,” meaning that the member may submit a photo of any subject that they wish.
- Open Black & White Digital Image
Note that before you upload the images, you should ensure the image:
– Has a filename that meets the designated naming convention
– Is saved in the sRGB color space
– Has a pixel dimension no greater than 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels tall.
– Is saved using a quality setting to keep the file size to a reasonable level (e.g., 600-800 KB)
Print Images Competition:
- Assigned Subject Color or BW Print – The assigned subject is determined in advance and can be found in the Events section of this web site by clicking on the meeting date.
- Open Color Print – The subject is “open,” meaning that the member may submit a photo of any subject that they wish.
- Open Black & White Print
Prints may be any size, up to a maximum limit of 16 x 20 inches. Note: that the size limit includes any mounting boards or mats. Smaller sizes, such as 8 x 10 prints are also entered into competition, but keep in mind that the impact on the judges is generally better with a larger sized print.
Once arriving at the meeting, locate the table that holds the print sign in for the categories you plan to enter. A completed adhesive form is provided for all print entries and should be adhered to top center on the back of your print. Please place your print face down in the order it appears on the pre-print list on the table.
Applicable to Digital and Print Image Competition
- When you register online there is a check box where you can indicate if you wish the judges to provide comments on your photo during competition. The judges provide helpful critiques, including what they like about the photo as well as suggestions on how the photo could potentially be improved. Fill in all of the requested information on the sign-in form.
- During competition, each print is displayed for the judges, one at a time. The names of the photographers are not announced, so that the judging may be impartial. Each of the three judges then provides a score that generally ranges from 6 through 10 with 10 being the best possible score. The sum total of the three judges’ scores is then entered as the score for the image. Competition is anonymous and photographers’ names are not disclosed.
- After all of the images in a category have been scored, the first and second place prints for the competition are displayed and the members’ names for those images are announced. The winning member may be asked to comment briefly on the photo.
- If you are going to miss a meeting, you may give your prints to someone else to bring them to the competition on your behalf. They must be registered online first, prior to the competition night.
- You may enter makeups for Open categories ONLY two months after the competition night. To enter images as makeups, you enter two images into each category (except Assigned Subject as no makeups are allowed in this category). One of the two images in each category must be marked on the sign-in sheet as a “makeup.” The image marked as “makeup” is not eligible to be a monthly 1st or 2nd place winner, but the points obtained from the judging do count towards the end-of-year awards.
- The competition scores will be posted on the web site with the scores updated after each competition. Members will be able to see how their scores compare to the other club members and where they stand in the overall yearly point totals.